The Civil Service of the City shall be divided into the Unclassified and the Classified Service.
(a) Unclassified Service. The Unclassified Service shall include the following officers and positions:
(1) All elective officers;
(2) City Manager, Assistant City Manager, Deputy City Manager, Director of Finance, City Clerk, City Attorney, Assistant or Deputy City Attorneys, a private secretary to the City Manager, a private secretary to the Mayor and Council, a private secretary to the City Attorney, department heads; or as provided in Section 500 of this Charter.
(3) All members of boards and commissions;
(4) Positions in any class or grade created for a special or, temporary purpose and which may exist for a period of not more than ninety (90) days in any one calendar year;
(5) Persons employed to render professional, scientific, technical or expert service of any occasional and exceptional character;
(6) Part-time employees paid on an hourly or per diem basis; and
(7) Persons employed to fill positions which have been created for work and/or projects funded entirely or in part by grants made to the City or as provided and as designated by the City Council pursuant to Section 500 of this Charter.
(8) The City may place Assistant and Deputy Department Heads, Assistants to the City Manager and new management level positions in the Unclassified service by an ordinance adopted by a four-fifth’s vote.
(b) Classified Service. The Classified Service shall comprise all positions not specifically included by this section in the Unclassified Service.